Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 83002091
Historic Name FARMERS AND MERCHANTS BANK
Description of Significance THE FARMERS AND MERCHANT BANK IN CHOTEAU IS THE ONLY EXTANT BANK BUILDING FROM THE PERIOD OF THE COMMUNITYS EARLIEST DEVELOPMENT AND IS LOCALLY OUTSTANDING FOR ITS ARCHITECTURE. THIS 1908 BANK IS A TWO-STORY RECTANGULAR BRICK AND STONE BUILDING. THE ENTRANCE IS LOCATED ON THE CANTED CORNER AND THE BUILDING HAS A FLAT ROOF WITH A 2' PARAPET. DECORATIVE ELEMENTS OF THE BUILDING INCLUDE ROUND ARCH BRICK WINDOW AND DOOR SURROUNDS. THE FRONT ENTRY HAS ELABORATE LIMESTONE PILASTERS. A SHED-TYPE ADDITION WAS MADE TO THE REAR OF THE BUILDING IN THE 1950S. IT SERVED AS A BANK BETWEEN 1908 AND 1924, AS A COMMERCIAL BUSINESS BETWEEN 1925 AND 1943, AND MORE RECENTLY AS A DAY CARE FACILITY. LISTED IN THE NATIONAL REGISTER 7/14/1983. COLLAPSED 2013
Current Name SAME
Address 201 WEST MAIN
City CHOUTEAU
County MAYES
Lot 1 - 3
Block 27
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function COMMERCE/TRADE: FINANCIAL INSTITUTION
Current Function EDUCATION: SCHOOL
Area Signficance 1 ARCHITECTURE
Area Significance 2 COMMERCE
Date Prepared 1/1983
Year Built 1908
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder UNKNOWN
Architectural Style COMMERCIAL STYLE
Roof Material ASPHALT
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details BANK ETCHED IN STONE ABOVE DOOR.
Condition NON-EXTANT
Comments COLLAPSED 2013
Restricted N